Sunday, November 28, 2010

S.M.A.R.T.!

You've heard of this before...right? Either in your 'personal development' class, or when an athlete came to talk to your class.  All about how to set goals properly?  Well, I've actually taught that class, but somehow I never quit figured how how to get myself into it myself.  
Last week I made a decision that I needed to do 'something' before the new year. I"ve spent the whole year 'planning' on doing lots of things, but in the end I never really made it.  Well as I mentioned a couple of days ago, I've started the 30 day 'No Fizz' challenge.  So far so good on that one.  The other thing is that I've been working on the C25K program FOREVER!  I mean over many years I've started and stopped many, many times. And over the last couple of months I've redone week 4 several times, never completely stopping but never moving forward.

So here comes the SMART part!

                             No Fizz Challenge                        C25K

S     Specific         Follow Plan for 30 Days                Complete Program

M     Measurable   Finish Plan                                     Finish Plan

A     Attainable       In both cases I KNOW these are things that I can do!

R     Realistic        Again, I know these are things I can do in this amount of time, only 3 days/week etc.

T     Timely        These are both things I want to complete before/as of January 1st


So as far as the 30 day challenge goes things are going well. I know 4 days isn't a big deal for most people, but for me it's huge, and I am feeling better already.  For my running, I've already signed up for (and paid!) a race for January 1st.  It's the 'Resolution Run'. So I don't have a choice. I've got to do it. I've evened asked G if he wants to join me...we'll see on that one.

I'll keep you updated!

No comments: